Updated, March 2, 2017 | We published an updated version of this list, “401 Prompts for Argumentative Writing,” as well as a companion piece, “650 Prompts for Narrative and Personal Writing.” We also now have a PDF of these 200 prompts.
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter and get five new Student Opinion questions delivered to you every week.
What issues do you care most about? What topics do you find yourself discussing most passionately, whether online, at the dinner table, in the classroom or with your friends?
Our annual Student Editorial Contest invites you to write an evidence-based persuasive piece on an issue that matters to you. To help jump-start your brainstorming, we have gathered a list of 200 writing prompts from our daily Student Opinion feature that invite you to take a stand.
Though you won’t be limited to these topics for the contest, you’ll see that our list touches on every aspect of modern life, from politics to sports, culture, education and technology. We hope the range inspires you, and we hope the fact that each question links to at least one related Times article gives you a starting point for finding evidence.
So skim the list below to think about the topic you’d most like to take on.
For more information, here are links to our spring 2014 editorial-writing contest, a list of winners from that contest and a related lesson plan on argumentative writing.
- Is Cheating Getting Worse?
- Should Students Be Able to Grade Their Teachers?
- Does Your School Hand Out Too Many A’s?
- Should Middle School Students Be Drug Tested?
- Should Reading and Math Be Taught in Gym Class Too?
- How Seriously Should We Take Standardized Tests?
- How Well Do You Think Standardized Tests Measure Your Abilities?
- Do You Spend Too Much Time Preparing for Standardized Tests?
- Should Schools Offer Cash Bonuses for Good Test Scores?
- Should We Rethink How Long Students Spend in High School?
- Do Schools Provide Students With Enough Opportunities to Be Creative?
- What Are You Really Learning at School?
- How Important Is Arts Education?
- Does Gym Help Students Perform Better in All Their Classes?
- Who Should Be Able to See Students’ Records?
- Are Children of Illegal Immigrants Entitled to a Public Education?
- What Is the Right Amount of Group Work in School?
- Is Your School Day Too Short?
- Do You Think a Longer School Calendar Is a Good Idea?
- Should the Dropout Age Be Raised?
- Should Students Be Allowed to Skip Senior Year of High School?
- How Does Your School Deal With Students Who Misbehave?
- Should Schools Be Allowed to Use Corporal Punishment?
- How Big a Problem Is Bullying or Cyberbullying in Your School or Community?
- How Should Schools Address Bullying?
- Should Schools Put Tracking Devices in Students’ ID Cards?
- What Do You Think of Grouping Students by Ability in Schools?
- Do We Need a New Way to Teach Math?
- Does Class Size Matter?
- Should All Students Get Equal Space in a Yearbook?
- Is Prom Worth It?
- How Important Are Parent-Teacher Conferences?
- Should All Children Be Able to Go to Preschool?
- Should Colleges Use Admissions Criteria Other Than SAT Scores and Grades?
- What Criteria Should Be Used in Awarding Scholarships for College?
- Do You Support Affirmative Action?
- Do College Rankings Matter?
- How Necessary Is a College Education?
- Should Engineers Pay Less for College Than English Majors?
- Are the Web Filters at Your School Too Restrictive?
- Does Technology Make Us More Alone?
- Are You Distracted by Technology?
- Do Apps Help You or Just Waste Your Time?
- Do You Spend Too Much Time on Smart Phones Playing ‘Stupid Games’?
- Has Facebook Lost Its Edge?
- Does Facebook Ever Make You Feel Bad?
- Should What You Say on Facebook Be Grounds for Getting Fired?
- Should People Be Allowed to Obscure Their Identities Online?
- What Should the Punishment Be for Acts of Cyberbullying?
- Is Online Learning as Good as Face-to-Face Learning?
- Do Your Teachers Use Technology Well?
- Should Tablet Computers Become the Primary Way Students Learn in Class?
- Can Cellphones Be Educational Tools?
- Should Computer Games Be Used for Classroom Instruction?
- How Young Is Too Young for an iPhone?
- Should Companies Collect Information About You?
- Would You Trade Your Paper Books for Digital Versions?
- Are Digital Photographs Too Plentiful to Be Meaningful?
- Do You Worry We Are Filming Too Much?
- Would You Want a Pair of Google’s Computer Glasses?
- How Would You Feel About a Computer Grading Your Essays?
- What Role Will Robots Play in Our Future?
- How Many Text Messages Are Too Many?
- How Much Do You Trust Online Reviews?
- Why Do We Like to Watch Rich People on TV and in the Movies?
- Do TV Shows Like ‘16 and Pregnant’ Promote or Discourage Teenage Pregnancy?
- Does TV Capture the Diversity of America Yet?
- Is TV Too White?
- Is TV Stronger Than Ever, or Becoming Obsolete?
- Does Reality TV Promote Dangerous Stereotypes?
- What Current Musicians Do You Think Will Stand the Test of Time?
- What Artists or Bands of Today Are Destined for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
- What Musician, Actor or Author Should Be a Superstar, but Hasn’t Quite Made It Yet?
- Will Musical Training Make You More Successful?
- Should Video Games Be Considered a Sport?
- Should Stores Sell Violent Video Games to Minors?
- Can a Video Game Be a Work of Art?
- Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent in Real Life?
- When Should You Feel Guilty for Killing Zombies?
- What Game Would You Like to Redesign?
- What Were the Best Movies You Saw in the Past Year?
- To What Writer Would You Award a Prize?
- Do You Prefer Your Children’s Book Characters Obedient or Contrary?
- Where Is the Line Between Truth and Fiction?
- Can Graffiti Ever Be Considered Art?
- Do We Need Art in Our Lives?
- What Makes a Good Commercial?
- Why Did a Cheerios Ad Attract So Many Angry Comments Online?
- Does Pop Culture Deserve Serious Study?
- Do Parents Have Different Hopes and Standards for Their Sons Than for Their Daughters?
- Is School Designed More for Girls Than Boys?
- Is There Too Much Pressure on Girls to Have ‘Perfect’ Bodies?
- How Much Pressure Do Boys Face to Have the Perfect Body?
- Do Photoshopped Images Make You Feel Bad About Your Own Looks?
- Is It O.K. for Men and Boys to Comment on Women and Girls on the Street?
- What Should We Do to Fight Sexual Violence Against Young Women?
- How Do You Feel About Rihanna and Chris Brown Getting Back Together?
- Do Fraternities Promote Misogyny?
- Why Aren’t There More Girls in Leadership Roles?
- Why Aren’t More Girls Choosing to Pursue Careers in Math and Science?
- Should Women Be Allowed to Fight on the Front Lines Alongside Men?
- Do You Believe in Equal Rights for Women and Men?
- Are Women Better at Compromising and Collaborating?
- Do Boys Have Less Intense Friendships Than Girls?
- If Football Is So Dangerous to Players, Should We Be Watching It?
- Should Parents Let Their Children Play Football?
- Should College Football Players Get Paid?
- When Do Pranks Cross the Line to Become Bullying?
- Has Baseball Lost Its Cool?
- Are Some Youth Sports Too Intense?
- Is It Offensive for Sports Teams to Use Native American Names and Mascots?
- Where Should Colleges and Sports Teams Draw the Line in Selling Naming Rights?
- Should Colleges Fund Wellness Programs Instead of Sports?
- Is Cheerleading a Sport?
- How Big a Deal Is It That an N.B.A. Player Came Out as Gay?
- Should There Be Stricter Rules About How Coaches Treat Their Players?
- Should Athletes Who Dope Have to Forfeit Their Titles and Medals?
- Should Sports Betting Be Legal Everywhere?
- Should Home-Schoolers Be Allowed to Play Public School Sports?
- Would You Want a Bike Share Program for Your Community?
- What Local Problems Do You Think Your Mayor Should Try to Solve?
- If You Were Governor of Your State, How Would You Spend a Budget Surplus?
- When Is the Use of Military Force Justified?
- What Is More Important: Our Privacy or National Security?
- Should the U.S. Be Spying on Its Friends?
- Do You Trust Your Government?
- What Do You Think of the Police Tactic of Stop-and-Frisk?
- Do Rich People Get Off Easier When They Break the Law?
- Should Rich People Have to Pay More Taxes?
- Do Laws That Ban Offensive Words Make the World a Better Place?
- Is It Principled, or Irresponsible, for Politicians to Threaten a Shutdown?
- Do Leaders Have Moral Obligations?
- Do Great Leaders Have to Be Outgoing?
- How Should We Prevent Future Mass Shootings?
- Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?
- Would You Feel Safer With Armed Guards Patrolling Your School?
- What Is Your Relationship With Guns?
- Do You Support or Oppose the Death Penalty?
- When Should Juvenile Offenders Receive Life Sentences?
- Do We Give Children Too Many Trophies?
- When Do You Become an Adult?
- When Should You Be Able to Buy Cigarettes, Drink Alcohol, Vote, Drive and Fight in Wars?
- Should the Morning-After Pill Be Sold Over the Counter to People Under 17?
- Should Birth Control Pills Be Available to Teenage Girls Without a Prescription?
- Is Modern Culture Ruining Childhood?
- Are Adults Hurting Young Children by Pushing Them to Achieve?
- How, and by Whom, Should Children Be Taught Appropriate Behavior?
- What Can Older People Learn From Your Generation?
- Do ‘Shame and Blame’ Work to Change Teenage Behavior?
- How Should Children Be Taught About Puberty and Sex?
- Is Dating a Thing of the Past?
- How Should Parents Handle a Bad Report Card?
- Should Children Be Allowed to Wear Whatever They Want?
- How Should Educators and Legislators Deal With Minors Who ‘Sext’?
- Do You Think Child Stars Have It Rough?
- Is Smoking Still a Problem Among Teenagers?
- Are Antismoking Ads Effective?
- Is Drinking and Driving Still a Problem for Teenagers?
- Do You Think a Healthier School Lunch Program Is a Lost Cause?
- How Concerned Are You About Where Your Food Comes From?
- Is It Ethical to Eat Meat?
- Do You Prefer Your Tacos ‘Authentic’ or ‘Appropriated’?
- Should the Government Limit the Size of Sugary Drinks?
- Should Marijuana Be Legal?
- Should Students Be Required to Take Drug Tests?
- Do Bystanders Have a Responsibility to Intervene When There is Trouble?
- Should You Care About the Health and Safety of Those Making Your Clothing?
- Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- Does Buying and Accumulating More and More Stuff Make Us Happier?
- Are We Losing the Art of Listening?
- Do People Complain Too Much?
- Can Kindness Become Cool?
- Which Is More Important: Talent or Hard Work?
- How Important Is Keeping Your Cool?
- When Should You Compromise?
- Is Your Generation More Self-Centered Than Earlier Generations?
- Can You Be Good Without God?
- Have Curse Words Become So Common They Have Lost Their Shock Value?
- What Words or Phrases Should Be Retired in 2014?
- What Words or Phrases Do You Think Are Overused?
- Should Couples Live Together Before Marriage?
- How Important Do You Think It Is to Marry Someone With the Same Religion?
- How Long Is It O.K. to Linger in a Cafe or Restaurant?
- Does Keeping a Messy Desk Make People More Creative?
- How Important Is Keeping a Clean House?
- Should Scientists Try to Help People Beat Old Age So We Can Live Longer Lives?
- Given Unlimited Resources, What Scientific or Medical Problem Would You Investigate?
- When Is It O.K. to Replace Human Limbs With Technology?
- Do You Think Life Exists — or Has Ever Existed — Somewhere Besides Earth?
- Should Fertilized Eggs Be Given Legal ‘Personhood’?
- How Concerned Are You About Climate Change?
- Is It Wrong for a Newspaper to Publish a Front-Page Photo of a Man About to Die?
- What Causes Should Philanthropic Groups Finance?
- Should Charities Focus More on America?
- Should the Private Lives of Famous People Be Off Limits?
- Did a Newspaper Act Irresponsibly by Publishing the Addresses of Gun Owners?
- Would You Rather Work From Home or in an Office?
- What Time Should Black Friday Sales Start?
- Do You Shop at Locally Owned Businesses?
- How Much Does Your Neighborhood Define Who You Are?
Technology and Social Media
Arts and Media: TV, Music, Video Games and Literature
Sports and Athletics
Politics and the Legal System
Parenting and Childhood
Health and Nutrition
Personal Character and Morality Questions
Have you ever noticed you do not get tired re-reading books of the great American authors? Every time the reader finds something new and curious in the interesting persuasive essay topics proposed by the writer, he/she goes on exploring it from cover to cover. A persuasive essay can be more powerful than a narrative one written by the favorite author. It covers some good persuasive speech topics that make people want to discuss, debate and take the writer’s side in the end. Wish to learn how to write a debatable essay of the winner?
ORDER A PERSUASIVE ESSAY
Do you feel like an argumentative writing is not your calling, lack of necessary skills, or absence of interest in the subject of the assigned homework? No problem! Contact professional academic writing gurus to assist in the persuasive speech writing in the shortest period of time! Want to get an immediate help? It is time to provide the students with several great writing tips before moving to the list of interesting persuasive essay topics.
Interesting Persuasive Essay Topics and Other Keys to Successful Writing
Choosing good persuasive speech topics is not enough. It is important to make the target audience listen to the speaker with the opened mouth. However, selecting some interesting persuasive essay topics is the first step to the informative, attractive public performance. It is the chance for each student to improve the overall performance and final course grade, which influences GPA.
Have I persuaded you in the importance of persuasive writing? If yes, it means you have agreed on the particular point you did not consider significant before.
To create a powerful, meaningful argumentative paper, the student must follow the necessary pre-writing steps:
- Choosing author’s position. Decide on the purpose of your essay. Which side of the problem looks more correct to you, and what solution would you offer?
- Target the audience: think about whether your reader will agree with you from the opening line, remain neutral, or stick to the opposite position. If the writer is sure the reader will support the same position, the chosen interesting persuasive essay topics are weak. The issue should motivate to debate.
- Research a couple of good persuasive speech topics of your choice to find out which subject would be a better decision based on the amount of available information. Are you an expert in the particular field? It is necessary to go beyond your knowledge, skills, and experience by attending library or going online in search of valuable information on the selected interesting persuasive essay topics. Avoid sensitive subjects (politics, religion, gender, etc.)
- Structure! Organization & time management are the keys to success in any activity, and writing essays on good persuasive speech topics is not an exception. Decide on what type of evidence should be included. Think about the order of paragraphs along with the corresponding main points based on the interests of the target audience,
4 Ways to Support Arguments in Debatable Writing
There are some elements to help the writer support his arguments.
Facts – The most powerful means of convincing obtained from different readings, observations, investigations, and life experience.
Statistics – Another excellent support. The writer should check that the collected statistics are taken from the credible, up-to-date sources; citing them properly is important (read more about Bibliography).
Quotes/Quotations – Direct & indirect in-text citations from the area’s leading experts support the writer’s position invaluably.
Examples – Insert examples from real life or personal experience to make your ideas more specific. It is a powerful proof.
It is time to move to 90 good persuasive speech topics/ interesting persuasive essay topics shared by experts and other students!
90 Good Persuasive Speech Topics from Different Fields!
The goal of a persuasive essay is to argue or put across the writer’s point to the target readers. Focus on the knowledge & skills versus imagination & creativity to write an A+ persuasive speech/essay. The basic principles of writ8ing a persuasive essay are logic plus clarity.
GET YOUR PERSUASIVE ESSAY
Technology & Science Persuasive Essay Topics
- Chips are dangerous weapon – they can control human mind
- FaceBook, Twitter, and other social networks are danger to our privacy
- What is the cost of modern technology & innovations?
- Digital explosion age is coming
- Cloning should be forbidden
- The progress of artificial intelligence is the act against God
- Advantages & disadvantages of laptops
- Artificial intelligence cannot improve the life of real human
- Can a clone replace a live being?
- Marrying robots: myth or reality?
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education & Career
- The value of corporal punishment in high schools
- Traditional education vs. remote education
- E-learning should replace the traditional approach to education
- The commercial side of education
- Is academic grading fair in the US colleges?
- Students must be given a right to choose disciplines they consider important
- The impact of university degree on further career choice & progress
- Which foreign languages must be offered to the American students?
- It is not necessary to obtain a specific degree to become a professional in the particular fields
- Is there such thing as the best occupation?
Good Persuasive Essay Topics for High School: Law & Justice
- Drug testing in a workplace: pros & cons
- American population should be given a right to start voting at a younger age
- The best age for driving a car
- Military service must be compulsory
- The army should be paid higher
- They should not turn a court proceeding into the show
- Adoption of kids by gay couples
- Same-sex marriages must not be in law
- How to eliminate the judicial mistakes
- Lawyers are paid too much
Political Regimes & Government Writing Ideas
- Government must consider physically disabled
- Presidents should not receive the highest salaries in the country
- Could Hilary Clinton change the United States for better?
- Communism: some of the advantages
- Three ways how politicians can improve their performance
- The way “Family Guy” displays political figures
- Why the American presidents have no right to star in the movies?
- Was Arnold Schwarzenegger a successful politician?
- The best political regime in the world
- Political principles modern world grabbed from the Ancient Greece & Ancient Egypt
Persuasive Essay Topics for Elementary Students: Science & Space
- Facts that prove Earth is not the single inhabited planet
- The first man in space: myth and truth
- Darwinism: can we apply the theory to the modern knowledge?
- Is it possible to live on the Moon or Mars?
- What is the real size of the universe?
- Alternative sources of energy and their role in human life
- Space observation is a waste of national budget
- The story about continents split
- Is genetic research helping the evolution?
- A global warming is a serious threat to humanity
Healthcare & Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- The causes of cancer
- The threats of Anorexia Nervosa: Why is it better to lose weight with the help of sports instead of the forced hunger strike?
- The reasons for obesity: is it the lack of physical activity?
- Countries with the lowest rate of living have the shortest average life
- Are there any products that can cure diabetes?
- Wine is the least harmful alcohol beverage, and it can improve our health
- The secrets of Japanese people: Japanese art of fighting
- How much protein should an average sportsman take per day?
- Vegetarianism is not the best decision
- Shocking facts about fast food meals
Moral Issues & Obligations Ideas
- Who is responsible for the homeless dogs?
- Homeless people must be given a chance
- Chinese government must allow the families having more than one child
- The threats of overpopulation
- Mothers and fathers are equally obligated to take care of their children
- Elderly people should not be sent to hospitals or asylums against their will
- Asylums: pros & cons
- Mental disorders are as dangerous as the physical issues
- Contraceptives & birth control
- Excellent punishment of immorality
Essays about Young People
- Contemporary young people are rude
- Why is hate crime progressing in our society?
- Bullying in high schools
- People are getting swallowed with their arrogance
- The impact of violent video games on children
- The impact of violent TV shows on population
- School uniform: necessary or not?
- The most effective way to control the US population
- The growing number of teenage mothers: causes and ways to overcome
- The current generation lack rules to follow and corresponding punishment to fear
Social Media Paper Ideas
- Online bullying exists
- Social media has a significant impact on human mood & behavior
- Where do the trendy things come from?
- The role of popular music videos in the life of US citizens
- A good way to take care of the online privacy
- Social networks are more threatening than some people think
- Television & social media hypnotize people
- Is it possible to trace someone on the internet?
- How would the life without computers look today?
- The censorship of internet is important
The list contains several possible cool persuasive topics. The student can choose some of the greatest ideas to use in the argumentative writing: persuasive & argumentative essays have many things in common. This list of topics can become an interest to the variety of audiences. It is important to define your readers before writing, use the best judgment, and prepare an effective outline. If you feel like something goes wrong or the offered good persuasive speech topics are complicated, ask the professional online help to solve the problem with homework assignment at the fairest price!