The International Baccalaureate® (IB) online curriculum centre (OCC), a key resource for educators at IB World Schools, includes several examples of extended essay titles.
These highlight the diverse range of topics covered by International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) students during their extended essays.
Some examples are:
- “An analysis of costume as a source for understanding the inner life of the character”
- “A study of malnourished children in Indonesia and the extent of their recovery after a period of supervised improved nutrition.”
- “Doing versus being: language and reality in the Mimamsa school of Indian philosophy.”
- “The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH of saliva in the mouth after a meal.”
- “To what extent has the fall in the exchange rate of the US dollar affected the tourist industry in Carmel, California?”
- “What level of data compression in music files is acceptable to the human ear?”
Also available in the OCC, the Handbook of Procedures for the Diploma Programme has guidance on choosing a subject for the extended essay.
The OCC is only available to existing IB World Schools.
You can also purchase examples of essays in the IB Store. These essays fulfil the requirements for an ‘A’ grade in the extended essay.
If your school is not one already, learn how to become an IB World School in order to implement the DP.
Everyone in my school hand to hand in their Extended Essays in October. Just out of curiousity I was wondering what all of your topics were.
Mine was in history and was a comparitive study between Japanese and Chinese junior high school history textbooks. I focused on their depictions of Japanese aggression in China 1895-1937. It was really fascinating. It was especially fun looking for so-called 'bias' in the textbooks. In 2001 there was a Japanese Textbook Scandal in which Japanese Right-wing professors published a textbook that was took a pro-Japanese, pro-fascist stance. It was amazing reading the partiality in that. Almost all of the Japanese textbook distributed in schools now tend to show remorse for the Japanese aggression in China though.
Please ask questions about your extended in this thread:
The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread
Please use this thread ONLY to post titles of your extened essays